By Shawna Wyman
Have you ever heard of the phrase, “A new year, a new you?” Now is the time of the year that you may find yourself making resolutions that focus around change. Your goals may be focused on finances, losing weight, or improving your relationship. Whatever your resolution centers on, there are many tips to help you stay on track to achieve success. Here are just a few tips and tricks to keep your resolutions and goals in reach:
- When setting a goal, make sure to keep it specific! Instead of “lose weight”, change the goal to lose 155 pounds. If you resolution is to “spend more time with family”, set a goal to have a family game night every Tuesday.
- Give yourself grace. Setback are inevitable. Don’t beat your self up when they happen. Acknowledge the minor bumps in the road and then move on.
- Start small! As the saying goes, do not bite off more than you can chew. Setting smaller manageable goals will make success easier to achieve.
- Find a friend of family member to help support and encourage you. Find a battle buddy or a wingman who has a similar goal.
- Google can be your friend. Don’t be afraid to research ways to help you achieve a goal that have been successful for others. The internet is full of tips, tricks, and recipes and roadmaps for success. The internet can also be sources of well needed laughter or giggle when you feel as if you can not continue.
Whatever you are choosing to conquer, the Service Member Support Directorate (SMSD) wishes you great success. If you need assistance with achieving your goals, reach out. SMSD can connect you to many helpful local resources to achieve success through the Soldier & Family Assistance program. Service members and their families are eligible for coaching and non-medial counseling programs through Military OneSource, mental and physical health services through TRICARE, the Psychological Health Program, or other similar programs. Contact us at 1-800-292-9464 option 1.
From our family to yours, we wish you a happy, prosperous, and joyful New Year in 2022.