There are several sites all over the web, television and billboards telling you to contact them to “help” you with getting information and VA benefits. The latest I ran across is “The Fastest Way To Get Your DD214”. They have all the fancy symbols that states they are an “Accredited Business” and “Veteran Owned”. And they accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express to make your transaction even easier. There is no need to pay for any of those services if you served within the last 62 years.

As the veteran or the surviving family member of a veteran who might need records such as a DD214, Medical and Health records, or replacement of medals, contact the National Archives. You can contact them at the following contact information, 314-801-0800 or at Personally, I have used this site to make updates to my own DD214, obtained my military records and helped family and friends obtain records for benefits after their veteran has passed. The process is very easy to complete and free of charge to the veteran and their Next-of-Kinthat served within the last 62 years.

Costs for Discharge Dates MORE than 62 years ago: This is a rolling date, the current year minus 62 years. Records that are considered “Archival” are now open to the public and subject to the public fee schedule. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made. 

If you need assistance, you can reach out to the following organizations:

Veteran Service Organizations (VSO) such as the American Legion, Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Order of the Purple Heart or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

County Veteran Service Officers (CVSO) located at the county seat of each Wisconsin County.

Tribal Veteran Service Officers (TVSO) located in various communities around Wisconsin.

Service Member Support Division (SMSD) 1-800-292-9464 Option #1