Home » Blog » Making Tax Filing Simple

Making Tax Filing Simple

T-A-X-E-S. It’s that time of the year again. The good news is that members of the military community have access to Military OneSource MilTax benefits to help take the hassle out of tax time.

Service members, eligible family members, and survivors have access to the only tax preparation and filing software provided by the Department of Defense, designed exclusively for the military community. The free and secure e-filing software also comes with a guarantee – 100 percent accuracy by the software provider. With MilTax, you also have easy access to consultants trained in tax considerations for the military. MilTax consultants can help you understand how the new tax law might affect you and your family. Use these special resources to help you get an early start on your taxes.

Get ahead of — and a handle on — your taxes

You need to file your taxes by April 15 in 2019, unless you file for an extension. Whether you use MilTax or do it yourself, here are some steps to make tax filing simple.

  • Get an early start. Identify one place (a folder, shoebox or computer file, for example) to put all your tax documents, so you have everything when you need to file.
  • Gather the documents and items you’ll need for tax preparation. This includes:
    • Social Security number(s) and date(s) of birth for you, your spouse and other eligible family
    • All W-2 forms, from all employers, for you and your spouse
    • Form 1099 for independent contractors
    • Child care, education and adoption costs documentation
    • Investment income forms
    • Alimony information
    • Social Security benefits information
    • Miscellaneous income forms
    • Form 1098-E for student loan interest
    • Form 1098 for home mortgage interest
    • Charitable donations receipts
    • Medical and dental expense bills
    • Real estate tax documents
    • Receipts for any deductible expenses
  • Make a list of questions for a MilTax Consultant or other tax adviser. Questions may include:
    Can I write off certain expenses? Can I get an extension? What happens if I’m serving in a
    combat zone? What should I do if our family moved this year?
  • Discover special tax benefits enjoyed by service members. This ranges from extra pay for
    those serving in combat zones and other tax perks to special benefits for military members
    serving outside the United States. Many civilian accountants are unaware of deductions and
    allowances specific to service members and their families. MilTax consultants specialize in
    optimizing these benefits and tax deductions — and the free preparation and e-filing software is
    tailored to military life. Connect with a MilTax consultant or visit the Internal Revenue Service to
    find out more about these benefits.
  • Get face-to-face help. In addition to the tax resources offered through MilTax, you can visit a
    Volunteer Income Tax Assistance office near you or your installation’s Legal Assistance office. It also has sites to help our military overseas. Find a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance location near you.
  • Be aware of tax scams. The Internal Revenue Service posts about the most common tax scams, including shady tax preparers or phishing, on its website. Or check with your state’s attorney general’s office.
  • Understand important steps to take if you are deployed.

What to know about filing tax extensions

Filing taxes after the official deadline is common, but there are important things to understand. The
easiest way to get an extension: simply file Form 4668, Extension of Time to File, before the tax
deadline. Keep in mind: if you owe taxes, you’ll be charged interest from the date the payment is due.
You may also incur penalties. If you are unsure about how to file an extension, or simply want guidance,
a MilTax consultant can walk you through the appropriate steps.

Automatic extensions are available for service members living outside the United States and those
serving in combat zones. Get tips on filing taxes as a deployed service member.

Call Ahead. Get started on your taxes now by connecting with a MilTax consultant for military-specific
information regarding your tax questions — for free. Call 800-342-9647 today. OCONUS/International?
Click here for calling options.